BARNS, COMMERCIAL, EQUESTRIAN, LATEST PROJECTS
The Waikato Equine Veterinary Centre is a superb facility designed specifically to facilitate the provision of top quality equine veterinary care. Harrison Lane’s specialist equestrian design and construction expertise enabled us to design and build two stable blocks, an equine clinic and arena with a strong aesthetic and functional cohesion between all buildings in the complex and a focus on the safe and efficient access and movement of horses both during the day and at night.
Following an initial meeting at Horse of the Year in 2015, Laura worked with the directors of the veterinary practice and other industry partners to develop concepts for the new facility. A contract was signed in September and design and consent proceeded smoothly. Regular project team meetings were held on site and all parties shared a common vision for the project. Construction went smoothly and was completed on schedule and budget, to the delight of the owners.
The overarching goal from Harrison Lane’s perspective was to make the facilities as user-friendly and safe as possible for both the horses and the people that will utilise them.
This was achieved through:
- Ensuring ease of equestrian access
- Facilitating horse truck parking & moving, loading and unloading
- A focus on the safety of the horses and the people working with them throughout the design and construction process
- Use of safe, appropriate, sustainable building materials (largely timber)
- Paying attention to lighting and ventilation, including excellent night lighting which ensures the safe movement of horses around the facility regardless of time of day
The establishment of this dedicated equestrian veterinarian facility in the Waikato enables the equestrian community ready and local access to a purpose designed facility created specifically to enable the safe handling and care of their sick/injured horses. It creates a central hub of equestrian care that in turn fosters a dedication to expertise, innovation and a high standard of service provision.
Stable Block 1 comprises 5 Stables and a Feed Room
Stable Block 2 comprises 5 Stables and a Double Wash Bay with hot and cold running water
Features of the Stables:
- Fully enclosed with split stable doors
- Grills at 2 different heights, so that horses of differing sizes can see still see each other
- Sliding shutters in each stable to optimum light and ventilation
The Equine Clinic comprises:
- A Store Room
- Preparation Room
- Dedicated X-Ray Viewing Room (with no windows)
- 2 x Equine Exam Rooms
- 1 x Standing Surgery
- 1 x Dedicated Reproductive Room
- Toilet & Shower
- Isolation Box & Provision for Nursing Sick Foals
The provision of the arena allows vets to assess and gradually rehabilitate lame/injured horses in a way that simply wouldn’t be possible in a traditional small animal vet clinic.
WE ARE WAIKATO AWARDS 2016
“A massive congratulations to the WEVC team on their success at the Property Council We Are Waikato awards last night.
WEVC took out the Project Team award against some incredibly strong competition and you were all involved along with many others ensuring this project could be delivered for the WEVC team.
It’s great to have the project and team recognised in the industry amongst some very good candidates.
Senior Planner, CKL